Monday, May 19, 2008

Life in the Garden

This morning I was reading about Adam and Eve's life in the garden. The story was of the serpent giving them the forbidden fruit to eat. God knew they had hidden themselves, but came looking for them anyway. Even knowing they had disobeyed her command, God wanted to continue to be in relationship with them.

Reading this familiar story again this morning, I was struck by the thought that we are still in the garden! I mean, I know that the story says God kicked them out and made their life much harder, but when I look around me I still see an incredibly lush, rich, fertile garden that needs to be tended. I see animals that need to be taken care of. Perhaps we are all still Adams and Eves. I know I've disobeyed God's command, and it wasn't just one time. Yet God continues to seek me out; God continues to want to be in relationship with me.

God, come and walk with me in your garden. Teach me how to listen for the sound of you walking through the garden. Help me remember that there is nothing I can do that will make you not want to remain in relationship with me.

No comments: