Monday, August 11, 2008

The Spring of Action

Still on Jonathan Edwards. He says that it is affections--love, hatred, desire, hope, fear, etc.--that move us to action, and that without these affections there would be no activity; the world would be motionless and dead.

As I ponder that, and wonder if it is true, it makes me stop to think about my actions. What causes me to get up and walk in the morning? to go to work? to straighten the house? to do laundry? or any of the myriad things I do each day without thinking about them? What affections are at work in me? Is it love, desire, hope, fear, covetousness, ambition, pride? Or is it something else entirely?

My prayer for my day (and yours) is to be more aware of my actions and what is driving them. Are they caused by some affection and if so, what is it? What is driving yours?

No comments: