Friday, August 15, 2008

True Religious Affections

Some of the affections of true religion are:
holy fear--trembling at the Word of God;
hope--sure and steadfast anchor of the soul;
love--God, neighbor, self;
hate--sin and evil;
holy desire--as the deer pants for the water;
joy--delight yourself in the Lord;
religious sorrow--blessed are those who mourn;
gratitude--thankfulness and praise to God;
compassion--God honors those who show mercy; and
zeal--what's missing from the lukewarm Laodiceans.

These are what Edwards gives as proof that all true religion comes from affections. And when I stop and think about it, I think I have to admit that I can't think of anything I've done (whoa, that's a whole lot of "thinks") that hasn't been motivated by some "affection." Can you?

Peace, love and grace.

No comments: